Thursday, November 16, 2006

a project



This is just about the time every year when I tell myself to slow down. Enjoy. Drink it all in - the craziness and the calm. I'm thinking of a project to focus on the good stuff that does abound in my life (not that you'd ever know it from all my harping on this here blog) and I'm contemplating a little advent project. I loved advent calendars as a kid, and this was before they were filled with chocolate candies. I still prefer the versions whose doors open to little glittery pictures and snowy animals and shrubbery. But, I'm thinking of changing the concept a little. Something along the lines of dressed up small match boxes (covered with colored paper and an appropriate number) - emptied of their little sticks of fire inducing fun - and filled with a little slip of paper dictating a cheery activity or treat for my smallies.

All I can think of so far is ::
1. hot chocolate with all the fixings
2. a new toy car (can you really ever get enough of these puppies?)
3. watch a movie in pj's in the "big bed" (aka: mine)

And that's about it. 3 out of 25.

So tell me, what little rituals, goodies or traditions mark the holiday season for your families? Do tell.

3 Comments:

Blogger L. said...

How about an art project with macaroni and glue?

Baking/decorating Christmas cookies?

Read "The Grinch," and then watch the video of it together?

Wow -- mine are really so boring and obvious...

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about:

Making a jingle bell necklace?

Making and painting salt dough ornaments?

Reading a new Christmas themed book?

Making Xmas cards to mail to rels?

Making "reindeer food" (google to get recipe) to leave out for Santa's crew?

Eating candy canes?

Starting a Christmas journal together- special album of pictures from your xmas holidays and stories/memories

Stringing popcorn for the tree

Thinking of and doing a random act of kindness for someone who needs it?

Making mulled cider or egg nog?

sounds fun!

I wrap all of our xmas books (with dollar store paper, or newspaper comics) and for the 24 nights before Christmas, we upwrap and read one story before bed- I save this collection of books for December, and it took a number of years to accumulate them all)

8:31 PM  
Blogger pixie sticks said...

great ideas. Thanks. I need to get busy on these!

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home