Monday, August 28, 2006

I need to do some laundry. really, really badly.

I returned late last night from the out-of-state wedding (destination weddings?? I just don't get) of my oldest friend. Just looking at her radiant self in her wedding dress seemed impossible as she's eight and wearing pony tails in my minds eye. Everything about her makes me grateful that my parents decided to buy that house on that block. She is my childhood and sharing those times with her was a gift. She is an amazing friend who threw the perfect wedding for her. Simple and happy and just right, except for the fact that both the bride and groom and their respective families came down with the stomach flu the week of the wedding. They fell like dominoes in their Montana ranch house - scaring each arriving guest to the welcome dinner the night before the wedding with cautions to avoid physical contact with any of them. Who can't hug an almost-bride? Try not to do it, I dare you.

As I worried about my friend and all the work and energy she put into this day, I selfishly made deals with the universe about myself. I just kept thinking "okay, I can get the flu, I'm okay with that, just please - not until I get home. Not in the hotel. Not on the multiple airplane rides it took me and the Buddha to get our behinds to Montana and back. You can see where this is going, right? Well, there is a god and s/he definitely has a sense of humor.

The minute (actually second) I hit the top of our porch landing (I swear to god, I couldn't make this shit up), the baby started throwing up all over me. Two more times as I raced up the stairs to the flat yelling for help. MAS bathed him (screaming) while I peeled off all my clothes (crying), and then sat with him, walked him around and finally passed out in our bed with him at
1am. I'm tired and my stomach hurts. I swear I may never go to a wedding again.

5 Comments:

Blogger AMorris said...

Schnikeys. The wedding sounds interesting. Sorry to hear of sickness ....and laundry. The LW and I caught something similar on an Am-trek-hell train trip from Tucson to Little Rock a while back. Must have been like Norwalk or something. Had us, then our families laid up for days and days. Plenty of rest and water..blah blah blah...and you'll be good as new.

8:11 AM  
Blogger kirsten said...

That just has to be the worst part of motherhood. One of my babies threw up ALL over me on a plane once. I had a complete change of clothes for her but nothing for me and had to sit in vomity clothes for three hours in the plane, an hour clearing customs and then a one and a half hour car ride *GAG*

6:15 PM  
Blogger pixie sticks said...

It really was one of those moments where I had to force myself "to deal". All I wanted was for someone else to fix it all. It's one of those times when I seriouslly think I wasn't quite cut out for this.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are all feeling better today.

4:49 PM  
Blogger pixie sticks said...

Believe it or not! I don't think it ended up being the flu. After the barf-fest Sunday night we've been remarkably foulness-free. I'm thinking Buddha had just had enough of a very long day & weekend (oh! and that I'm slightly OCD...hehe).

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home