Friday, August 11, 2006

I bet this will sound weird (especially if you live in, like... Iowa).


So this weekend, I dropped just over $300 on hair-related things (I know, enough with the hair already). A cut, some low-lights, some color to even out some previously indulged-in highlights and just regular summer-time sun exposure blondness that had no business being on my head, as well as shampoo & conditioner for this two-girl-head(s)-of-household and some very important post-wash, yet pre-blow dry products. My fucking lord. Are we nuts?? Really, please chime in if you have thoughts on this. $300+?? And, by the way, my hair looks just okay. What gives? When did life get so complicated? And by complicated, I mean expensive. If I truly think about the money that goes out everyday (gas, coffee, groceries, wine, diapers, gifts) versus what MAS and I bring home in our paychecks every two weeks - not even taking into account our mortgage, taxes, insurance - the math just doesn't add up. We both make okay money. Incredibly decent salaries in any other part of the county. Is it just me or does urban life cost more? And please someone tell me, just what are we paying for? The privileged of finding no parking, sharing my doorstep with the neighborhood homeless guy, or private school for a 5 year old that costs more annually than my parents spent to send me to college.

4 Comments:

Blogger kirsten said...

We've lived in the city and now WAAAAAAAAAAY out in the sticks! Urban life DEFINITELY costs more. In the country you don't care about $3oo worth of hair stuff because there's no one else to see your hair!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, ouch! Butt that sounds about right for city life. I remember my hubby passing out after realizing just how expensive a 'normal, okay' looking haircut would cost us every couple of months.

My dilemna is slightly different, and yet somewhat the same: I'm trying to lose post prego weight but just can't bring myself to smack down the bucks for a gym. So, instead, I'd like to start doing laps in our neighborhood pool. But since I recently got my hair treated (low-lites, high-lites, the like) I need to invest in some stuff that'll keep my 'colors' from turning brassy; or risk going back to the salon more often than I've planned.

Seriously, if it's not tit, it's tat!!!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Stefania Pomponi Butler aka CityMama said...

$300 for all that sounds reasonable to me. And, cityliving more expensive. Well. You know how I feel about that.

11:32 PM  
Blogger pixie sticks said...

citymama: I know, you're right. I don't think it would have stung quite so much if I really loved my hair, I just don't so I think that's what was bugging me.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home