Tuesday, June 12, 2007

summer reading

I'm pretty sure I have the working-parent equivalent of Summer Slide. I know I must have read a few novels in the last four years since the first of the smallies moved in, but for the life of me I cannot name one at the moment. This is pretty sad for someone who counts reading to be one of her most valued special skills along with the one where I manage to pick up the most expensive and beautiful card on any display without fail even though I realize spending $8 on a card is absurd. I swear, I'd mention something along the lines of "has the ability to chose and appreciate great books and read them while blow drying her hair, hiding under desk at work and whilst waiting at stop lights" on my resume if I believed anyone other than me thought that was in the slightest way extraordinary.

So, it's worth mentioning that I just read two books (thank you solo trip to Chicago) that I loved and reminded me that when you love a book you stay up past midnight reading it instead of falling asleep in front of reruns on tv.

I realize I must be the only person with an Amazon login who hadn't yet read this one. I almost passed it by after seeing everyone on the street and my mother-in-law carrying it around. Yeah, except that I ended up loving it. If you haven't read it, don't get all the Oprah-book-club-seal-makes-me-autmoatically-hate-it on me. It's good and thoughtful and makes you hungry for pasta. All in all, worth reading for that fact alone. And then there's The Girls, by Lori Lansens, another one I almost skiped becasue I got an alert from Amazon that since I loved A Gracious Plenty (a favorite from pre-kid days) and other people who loved a Gracious Plenty LOVED (and bought) The Girls that I should too. It was quirky and thoughtful and dark and sweet. Just right.

2 Comments:

Blogger nejyerf said...

i love a girl who sneaks a read whenever she can. i've read a book while drying my hair! and in the interest of divulging sensitive information to a perfect stranger, i always take a book with me into the bathroom. it's a family trait.

and if it makes you feel any better, i haven't read eat, pray, love either.

but it's on my list of books to read.

1:05 PM  
Blogger pixie sticks said...

I never knew of anyone else who ALWAYS carried a book around with them (for emergencies!?) until I started watching Gilmore Girls. Then I felt less alone in the world! And yes, I've been know to read and watch Gilmore Girls at the same time. Bliss, I tell you.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home