Thursday, June 14, 2007

seriously, don't stand so close to me.

I went to The Police reunion concert the other night and ended up having a great time, but not before I noticed that hey! by the way?? I'm too old for this. The irony was not lost on me in the moment that the last time around I was too young for this. Life's funny like that. The Oakland Coliseum was so packed you literally couldn't move around the concession concourse to get to your section until the loud nepotism band and then these jokers (2 opening bands in two too many) stopped playing and people started getting serious about finding their seats. I contemplated sitting on an old water fountain to pee rather than wait in a line for the women's restroom that would have meant missing my four year old leave for college it was so long.

I loved The Police as a kid. I was in the sixth grade the last time they toured and my parents just couldn't be persuaded that missing the Synchronicity tour would most definitely ruin my life. But that didn't stop me from watching all 20 hours of Live Aid to just to see them on tv or writing my History of Music report on The Police complete with blue, yellow and red scrawl in crayon (crayon!) across the front cover. So even though I've pretty much sworn off concerts because I'm tired and tragically unhip (example: I went straight from work and never really got around to throwing a change of clothes in my bag before leaving that morning so I'm pretty sure I was the only person there in patent leather ballet flats) I dragged my ass to Oakland to watch drunk old men sing Roxanne (fellow concert-goers, not the band) and cruise the merchandise table looking for a 2T concert shirt. Yet, in between all this I did seriously manage to enjoy a few cocktails with my sister and listen to old guys (the band) play some great music. Plus, the songs completely stand up after all these years and those guys worked their asses off to entertain. I had fun and that 11 year old dork with her History of Music report clutched in her hands was so happy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

oh baby, they're coming to NZ, and I thought I'd be the too old dork that went. it's months away though, but I'll be sure and compare notes.

9:09 PM  
Blogger L. said...

I saw he Police in the summer of '83 -- I had just graduated from high school, meaning I am significantly older than you, a thought upon which I will not dwell. That same summer, I also saw Bowie and the Talking Heads.

Somehow, between then and now, I managed to turn into a frumpy mom of three who wears all-cotton granny panties and drives a mnivan. But hell, at least they're BLACK granny panties!

3:18 PM  
Blogger pixie sticks said...

L: Seriously, you would have fit right in. Did I mention that my sister's boyfriend told me I looked liked their chaperon? (nice.) I'm jealous that I didn't get to see them before I turned into a mom blob. Guaranteed you had way more fun in '83 than I had last week. Lucky you.

10:25 PM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

lucky you!!

i begged and pleaded with my husband to get tickets for when they play giants stadium.

but he was steadfast in his "NO"

sucks to be me, i know.

9:15 AM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

we don't know each all that well, but i do feel reasonably comfortable in whining the following "why don't you post more often?!?!?"

do you watch top chef? i need someone to compare notes?

or how about ANTM?

have i just revealed that i like cheesy TV and revolted you so that you'll never talk to me again?

and while i am admitting cheesy TV watching....yesterday i watched kathy griffin: my life on the D list. she actually had a real moment and she shed a tear. i thought she was going to go up in flames.

you can tell me to stop any time now.

11:58 AM  
Blogger pixie sticks said...

nejyerf:

First of All: I love Kathy Griffin and all that she stands for in life.

& wow! Not only am I not posting often, I'm not looking for comments either (mostly because I never think I have any). I'm not posting often for a lot of reasons. To name just a few: I'm mildly depressed about trying to find some balance in my life and feel like posting about it would just be boring. Also, I'm constantly blown awayand intimidated by the quality of writing on many of the blogs I read and how they manage to be honest and still maintain a sense of lightness that I just feel is lacking in me right now. I do try and post new pictures to flickr often though because my kids inspire me to take it easy and be sweeter to myself. Aren't you glad you asked??

In terms of cheesy tv, I tend to shun reality tv (unless it's really bad like Blow Out or Real Housewives of Orange County kinda of thing) in favor of old school favorites like Felicity, Nip/Tuck and if Lifetime would start running old episodes of thirtysomething again I swear I'd quit my job and never leave my house.

Thanks for checking-in.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home