Wednesday, November 05, 2008

bittersweet

Today is bittersweet for me with the passage of Proposition 8 in California which amends the CA Constitution to ban same-sex marriage. As someone who lives her life honestly and bravely as an example for my children that their family is just as genuine as every other kid they know - this is a horrible manipulation of a governmental process that I truly believe in and work in everyday. I've been a campaign fundraiser, a PAC staffer and field representative for a US Senator and now, a city employee. That's it. I've only worked in government since my parents (a public school teacher and a nurse) finished paying for my very expensive liberal arts college education.

I'm tempted to be really pissed off, but instead I'm going to channel my new president (yay! seriously, thank God) and realize that it's always easier to choose love over hate (am hoping that the 52% of Californians who voted for Prop. 8 will see their way to this someday too).

And now I'll leave it to the legal scholars to figure out if my marriage is stickable or not. In the meantime we feel really lucky in so many ways and nothing really changes for us beyond hurt feelings. Our lives continue very much along the same lines as many of yours. We're a young, busy family who seeks to do our very best for each other - and that's all still true today and everyday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so hard to be completely overjoyed (yay Obama!) and still so upset about some of the other things at the same time. I'm so sorry.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I came to your blog from mine (darlyblog)---your family is beautiful and I'm glad you love your modern sparkler ring. just wishing you a happy monday!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home